Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Peanut Butter Brittle

I've got a horrible sweet tooth. There I've said it. It was hard to contain when the patriarchal family curse hit at age 40 when I became the latest member in the Mefford gene pool. Luckily or unluckily, this was resolved when I hard my first stroke a month after my 55th birthday.

My stroke kick started my pancreas into overdrive. I went from an insulin dependent diabetic to fighting to keep my sugar levels high enough. Don't try to understand it, or try to explain it. Just accept it and go on. Many doctors have tried to figure it over the years, but can't. I'm just taken this blessing at face value and praising Jesus,

I tend to gravitate more to salty sweets. It cures my snack cravings in very few bites. This is one of those recipes.

Peanut Butter Brittle
Makes about 2 lbs

2 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup, I make my own
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
4 cup dry roasted, salted peanuts, I make my own and you can too. See my recipe below.
2 cup smooth peanut butter, I use organic or make my own
2 TBS butter
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pure vanilla extract, I make my own

  • Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to a rolling boil. 
  •  Add the peanuts and reduce the heat to medium, stirring constantly.When the mixture reaches the hard-crack stage, about 300° F (use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature), remove the pan from the heat. Add the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla, and then the baking soda, stirring constantly.
  • When you add the baking soda, the mixture will increase in volume dramatically. Continue stirring until all baking soda is combined.
  • Pour hot mixture unto heat safe counter like a steel or stone counter top. It will blister  a Formica counter top.
  • Spread to a 1/4-inch thickness. 
  •  Stretch the brittle until it's no longer stretches. Holes in the stretched brittle is okay. Thinner pieces of brittle is the result and easier to break. I would suggest wearing gloves for this operation because the candy is initially over 200 degrees.
  • Allow to cool for 1 to 2 hours. Break the candy into large pieces and store in an airtight container. The larger pieces will break down further in the container.
* Note- on really humid days, the candy will be sticky. So try making this on days with Humidity less an 70% humidity.

To Dry Roast Peanuts
2 lbs raw peanuts in their shell
2 gallons lukwarm water
2TBS salt
  •   Mix water and salt together in a pan. Make sure all the salt is dissolved in the brine solution. Add the washed peanuts to the brine. 
  • Cover and allow to soak for a minimum of 8 hours. The longer you let them soak, the saltier they will be.
  • Drain peanuts and set them on a towel to dry for an hour.
  • Place peanuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
  • Let cool and enjoy,
  • Store in air tight container.

 Y/all have a blessed day!
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.