Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Boy, How Fast Time Flies By

A couple of days ago, we celebrated the summer equinox (21st) or solstice...the longest hours of daylight in one day. I hope you enjoyed every moment of them. It's a sad event for gardeners everywhere. In increments from here on out, the daylight hours begin shortening again.

It seems like just yesterday, we were planning our spring planting. Now, it's planning the fall garden while in the height of summer gardening efforts. Our harvests have been pitiful for the most part. I wish I could blame it all on Mel's garden plan, but I can't. A lot had to do with my multiple out of town doctor appointments, surgeries, and our mutually exclusive health issues. It's just been an off year for gardening for us.

I'll be better apt in taking over the garden again by next spring both physically and Mel mentally. It's a very good things that my high 100% goals of self sufficiency in the 2018 garden will carry us through to 2020. Although, I may run low or out on a few things before the 2020 harvest is completed. This is a good thing when talking about a long term storage pantry. It keeps the stock rotating with very little effort.. I make a habit of doing this especially with pickles. Cucumbers being such a tender vegetable tends to break down in texture after the 4 or 5 year mark. The flavor is still great, but the way it feels in your mouth is not so great. It might be my recipe too.

So as the year winds it way down getting ready for its winter rest, that's not today. Tomatoes, peppers, and okra are waiting to be picked or picked up from the farmer's market.. Hmm, salsa! The half pint jars worked well for us as an accompaniment for "Mexican" dinner nights or snacking without leftovers. We've used up all tonato products I canned last year, I'll do it again. We've been out of salsa since January so this year I'll make two cases of it.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.