Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Cooking with Chef Jo: French Fried Green Beans with Two Sauces

Well, a couple of weeks ago I mentioned making some French fried green beans as a serving suggestion. That brought a flurry of folks wanting my recipe for them. So today, I'm granting their wish.
A shameless plug

I guess it was introduced to these by our food distributor as a new line of products for my restaurant. It struck me as bar food rather than food you'd order in a restaurant. Was I ever wrong. In the past dozen years, French fried green beans have taken the country by storm as a "healthier" alternative to French fries. It really isn't when you look at the numbers. It's a perceived notion. Anything fried in oil is not good for you.

Don't get me wrong, I love deep oil fried foods too. I just use an air fryer or oven and alter the recipe a bit these days for my health's sake. Nowadays, I'll swap out potatoes, sweet potatoes, and green beans for variety in my menu. Although Whirling Dervish, Mel's cat, would rather have potatoes. she'll eat the other two also.

This recipe is keto friendly and gluten free also. Why? Because I like the fine texture of rice flour for a lighter coating over wheat flour. The lighter texture enhances the garlic/Italian seasoning and Parmesan flavors too. I'll enclose a note on how I premake them for the freezer at the end. I'll multiply this recipe by four for each gallon bag of beans in the freezer.

Jo's French Fried Green Beans
Serving 4

What you'll need
1 lb fresh green beans, washed and ends trimmed
1 cup rice flour
1 1/2 cups beer, any that you like
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp cayenne, ground
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Sauce 1- Lemon Garlic Aioli
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely minced or paste
1/2 tsp parsley, minced fresh is preferred

Sauce 2- Sriracha Kiss
1 cup Ranch dressing
2 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp prepared horseradish

  • Putting it all together


  • In a medium sized bowl, add beer, flour, cheese, and herbs. Mix well.
  • Add green beans and coat in the batter.
  • Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees
  • Line basket with parchment paper and place beans in a single layer.
  • Set air fryer to 400 degrees for 12 minutes. If oil frying them, place in 400 degree hot oil and fry until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Drain on several layers of paper towels and salt them. If oven frying, place on parchment lined baking sheet. 400 degree oven for 12 minutes or golden.

For sauce 1- Lemon Garlic Aioli
  • Combine all ingredients in mini food processor or blender. 
  • Pulse until almost smooth. There will be bits of parsley left.
  • Refrigerate covered 1 hour before serving.
  • Can be stored for two days. 
For sauce 2- Sriracha Kiss
  • Combine all ingredients.
  • Refrigerate covered for 1 hour before serving.
This side dish can be served along with any sandwich, or singly as an appetizer. For an extra fancy presentation serve in a large, triangular coffee filter placed in a large martini glass. Pour dipping sauces in shot glasses. or stack them Lincoln log box fashion with choice of dipping sauce in the center. Or, simply as a side dish piling them lengthwise as you would asparagus on the plate drizzling dipping sauce on top. Enjoy!

Oh, when preparing this for the freezer, air fry for 4 minutes, oil fry for 3 minutes at 320 degrees and drain, or bake for 6 minutes. Place green beans on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer not touching and freeze overnight 6-8 hours. Place beans in a freezer bag and freeze. To cook, place frozen beans in the air fryer, oven, or  pan of oil for recommended time and temperature given in the recipe.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh this is a fabulous recipe and the sauces too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo :)) Though I'm not a big fan of beans, Alex loves them, so I'm bookmarking your recipe. I love your Lemon Garlic Aioli recipe too! Just an aside...we can't handle the smell of deep frying oil...but we love our fries. Baked fries just don't do it for me, how are your french fries in the air fryer? Do they stand up to the deep fried version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, For FF potatoes, I'll mix 2TBS olive oil and whatever seasoning I want in a plastic bag. Add my potatoes and shake well to coat. 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Crispy on the outside. tender on the inside. When you don't deep oil par fry then like the frozen kind they get wimpy pretty fast as they cool.

      Delete
  3. Rain, For FF potatoes, I'll mix 2TBS olive oil and whatever seasoning I want in a plastic bag. Add my potatoes and shake well to coat. 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Crispy on the outside. tender on the inside. When you don't deep oil par fry then like the frozen kind they get wimpy pretty fast as they cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, thanks! I'll try that. I can't stand wimpy fries lol! :)

    ReplyDelete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.