Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Canning with Chef Jo: Coleslaw?

 I harvested my cabbages, daikon, and carrots before the big freeze. Read more on this in last Sunday's post. I promised for today I'd bring a post today on my harvest and what I was going to do with it. I recently saw a video on canning coleslaw. I never heard of such a thing. I love coleslaw, but Mel detests cabbage except in eggrolls. So, the coleslaw would just be for me. 😊

I've put by a lot this year just for me that I love compared to previous years. I simply cook another side dish for Mel. For the most part, I've denied myself and just cooked and put by what she liked. No more. I want my veggies! Normally, my plate for dinner is less than 1/4 meat and three-quarters vegetables (usually double serving size) with two servings of fruit a day. Yes, I eat junk food like chips and calorie laden sweets too. I had denied them for too long with my diabetes. I'm just as happy with organically grown tofu or rice and legumes as a substitute for red meats. I was a vegetarian for about two years before I married my beloved. But as usual, I digress...sigh!

I already knew I'd tweak the given recipe to my tastes. I've been cooking and canning now for over four decades. I'm talking about me, alone, doing the canning for my family. If I count canning with someone else (grandma, mother, aunts etc.) it's more like 55 years. Eek! That's over half a century. Geez, I truly am an old fart. Needless to say, I know about a thing or two about canning, seasonings, time, and what it does to flavors and textures of what I can.

As to giving credit to the recipe, I dunno who came up with the idea for this. I read about 15 variations of this recipe going back 30 years. Everybody had a tweak to add and change the recipe...just like I'm doing. With every two or three changes to a recipe, you make to a recipe makes it yours. You can put your name to it as a new recipe, bet you didn't know that.

Canned Coleslaw
7-8 pints, 3 quarts

What you'll need
1 green cabbage, short shredded,* approximately 5-6 lbs
2 TBSP pickling salt
3 carrots, short shredded*
1 cup Daikon radishes, short shredded*
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 cups of water
                              2 1/2 cups of vinegar*
                              1 1/2 cups sugar*
                              1 TBS celery seed
                              1 TBS black Pepper
                              1 TBS mustard seeds
Notes-* Only use green cabbage for this recipe. Colored cabbage results in all the other vegetables are dyed the color of the cabbage.
* Short shredded is vegetables shredded (large hole on a box grater or 1/8" to 1/4" knife shred) and no longer than 2" long.
* For the vinegar in this recipe, I used 1-1/2cups of white vinegar and 1 cup apple cider vinegar.
*If you like a sweeter version of coleslaw (think KFC), increase sugar to two cups. If doubling or tripling this recipe use the 1 1/2 cups of sugar measurement after the initial 2 cups.

Putting it all together
  • The night before, shred all the vegetables.
  • Add ingredients to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix well, cover and place in refrigerator overnight (6-8 hours)
  • The next morning, strain and rinse the salt from the vegetables.
  • Prepare vinegar liquid in a large pot big enough to hold the liquid and all the vegetables. 
  • Bring to a vinegar mixture to a boil. Boil one minute.
  • Turn off the heat.
  • Add the vegetables to the vinegar mixture.
  • Mix well to distribute the spices.
  • Ladle into sterilized jars, wipe rims, lid and ring the jars.
  • Place jars into a simmering water bath canner- temp above 180 degrees
  • Process 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.
I actually made this last Sunday and tried it this week. I made Brats on the grill and served it
with the coleslaw, and baked beans.. It turned out delicious! It's definitely a keeper. It's another way to preserve my cabbage, carrot, and daikon harvest. 

This is a vinegar based coleslaw. If you prefer a mayonnaise based recipe the conversion is simply strain off the vinegar and add mayonnaise. The vegetable remain fairly crisp even with the canning. The addition of Daikon radishes helps with this. In other variations of this recipe included the addition of onions, peppers, horseradish, and other vegetables and spices. Take this recipe and make it your own. Add or take away what your family likes and dislikes. But most of all, Enjoy!

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of canning sauerkraut, but never wanted to do it because it would kill the probiotics. But this would be more like a vinegar cabbage pickle (vinegar sauerkraut rather than fermented), so I think it would be a great way to preserve cabbage as cole slaw. Another tasty convenience food for busy homesteaders. I'm gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised with it. I'll keep a quart or two of fermented sauerkraut in the refrigerator and the rest I'll can. Yes, it will kill the probiotics, but I have other fermented foods I can eat for that.

      Delete
  2. Jo, I'm assuming the first 2 tbsp canning salt is for sprinkling the veggies, and the second 1/2 cup is for the brine. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, you got it backwards 1/2 c for sprinkling over the vegetables in the overnight process and 2 tbs for the brine

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I wasn't sure because the 2 tbsp is listed 2nd in the recipe with the veggies, and the 1/2 cup looks like it heads up the list of brine ingredients. I'm glad I asked!

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.