Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Cooking with Chef Jo: Dry Scalloped Potatoes Packets for the Working Pantry

 As I said in my previous post, we are entering our busy time of the year. I'm taking advantage of the newest cold front and rain to stock my working pantry. So "instant" or quick fix short cuts for home cooked goodness are what we need. Today, I'm using my dehydrated potato slices. Now regular scalloped potatoes do not have cheese, but when my mother always made scalloped potatoes she always added cheese making them a cross between scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes.

The great thing about this recipe is you only need a can of evaporated milk and water make it so it's a good prepper/working term pantry side addition for a meal. It can be cooked on a stove top, in the oven, or even over a wood fire if needed. I made it all ways. I honestly haven't tried to make it with a sterno stove though, but I imagine it could be done that way. I use evaporated milk to reconstitute the dry ingredients to make it extra creamy, but you can use regular milk to make this. I'll give you the bulk recipe for the cheese-less sauce mix because you can scallop any vegetable. Without further ado, on to the recipe.

Bulk Scallop Mix
Makes a little over 1 Quart

Bulk Mix
2 cups milk, skim milk is okay but whole milk is better
1 cup white flour
1 cup corn starch
1/2 cup dried onion flakes, or 8 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
1/4 cup dried chives
2-3 TBS seasoning salt
1 TBS mustard powder
                                                                 1 TBS garlic powder
                                                                 1 cup dried cheddar cheese powder*

* Notes- *If you are making it like my mom or Au Gratin potatoes.

4 serving "box"

What you'll need
1/2 c mix
3 c dehydrated potatoes slices
1 c evaporated milk
2 cups hot water
4 TBS butter

There you have it another pantry stores made from scratch without all those words you can't pronounce. As always, it's a yummy for your tummy.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.