Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Meatloaf

I make meatloaf several different ways, but since I've moved here I hide extra vegetables in it for Mel. She eats vegetables grudgingly. I'm talking about 2 TBS servings. I look at vegetables as medicine and a way to get all my essential nutrients without taking vitamin pills. Any serving less than half a cup per serving just won't cut it. In my case, it's more like a cup of each vegetable I'm serving to 1/2 a cup of meat. Yeah, I love me some veges! But today, I'm giving you my standard recipe.

My favorite way to eat meatloaf is the day after I make it. I love meatloaf sandwiches. I'll make meatloaf just to have sandwiches. Love it or hate it, mine does the body good. Great protein, healthy vegetables, and good fiber.

Meatloaf
Serves 6

What you'll need
1 lb  ground beef, 90/10 if you can get it
4 slices of bacon, I use turkey bacon, chopped
1/2 lb ground turkey, veal, soft tofu, mashed beans or some other meat
1 cup oatmeal, rolled or quick
1/2 cup milk
1 small onion, finely diced
                                                             2 stalks of celery, finely diced
                                                             1 cup ketchup*
                                                             2 TBS soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
                                                             2 tsp Jo's seasoned salt blend
                                                             2 TBS dried Parsley
                                                             1 TBS Oregano
                                                             1 to 2 eggs, depending on size and freshness*
                                                             2 carrots, grated
                                                             1/2 bell pepper, finely diced
*whatever leftover vegetables, blended in blender until pureed (for Mel's version)

* Notes- I make my own ketchup. We use so little of this condiment that 6 1/2 pint jars will last us a year.
Eggs vary in the amount of liquid of the egg white. The older the egg the thinner the whites. You want a consistency that the meat holds it's shape.

Putting it together

  • Crumble the meats in a bowl.
  • Mix the ketchup and soy sauce together in a small bowl and set aside.
  • Mix oatmeal, milk, eggs, herbs, and seasoned salt together in another bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes.
  • Add vegetables, half the ketchup mixture, and oatmeal mix into the meat. Work until well mixed.
  • Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
  • Form into a loaf. Be careful to not over work the meat. This will make it tough.
  • Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
  • Brush remaining ketchup mixture over the top of the loaf and drain any grease from the pan.
  • Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 10 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

I usually will make several mini loaf pans for two serving meals and freeze the rest. I serve it with smashed sour cream and cheddar cheese potatoes. I want to taste potato pieces rather than baby food textured mashed potatoes. Green beans, or green peas, or broccoli with cheese sauce, or a salad. But like I said earlier, my main motivation for making meatloaf is for the sandwiches. Whole grain bread, cold meatloaf with a little ketchup/mayonnaise dressing, lettuce and tomatoes with a pickle spear on the side. I can make two thick sandwiches from one mini loaf pans. Just thaw and eat.

Enjoy!

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed jo


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of adding the veggies. I used to do that to spaghetti sauce when my kids were little. I remember my dad loved meatloaf sandwiches. Good way to cook quite a few days worth of protein course.

    ReplyDelete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.