Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Not "Lipton" Dry Onion Soup Mix

First, I'll admit this recipe is not totally mine. I originally got the recipe from the Made From Scratch Cookbook circa 1975.The changes I've made over the years has netted me a dry onion soup mix that blends into chip dip, and a quick additive to pot roast and other food stuff preparations without additives. It maintains its shelf life without them. I do dehydrate my own vegetables and meat bone broth instead of store bought versions. I make it in single serving batches, place it in paper bags, and seal them.

 I'll do ten batches at a time to always have a ready supply of it. Why do just one when you've got all the ingredients out already? Think smarter not harder.When I get down to two or three like now, I make ten more.I always have several quart jars handy of dehydrated onions, beef bone broth, and herbs handy. It's part of my food storage. If you don't I';; substitutes the store bought equivalents. But for the optimum taste, I strongly urge you to dehtfrate your own home grown ingredients where possible.

Not Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix
Makes 1 oz dry serving of Onion Soup Mix or 1 pouch of packaged mix.
What you'll need
1/4 cup dehydrated onion flakes*

6 comments:

  1. Okay, sorry! You mention the onions, bone broth, and herbs, but only list dehydrated onions flakes under "What you'll need." I was curious about the herbs. I'd also be curious sometime in how you dehydrate your bone broth. I quit using dry onion soup mix years ago because of the ingredients but never found a good substitute, so I'm really interested in Chef Jo's version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it didn't copy/paste right. Sorry about that. To dehydrate bone broth, you'll need the jelly roll screens. I use dollar store place mats. After it dries put the pieces in coffee grinder. There may be moisture after grinding. Put powder back in dehydrator until powder is completely stirring mid way though.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like dehydrating eggs. For the final mix do you add anything other than the onion flakes?

      Delete
    3. Exactly like dehydrating eggs or any liquid based product. I'll repost the full recipe

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.