Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Fall? Changing Seasons?

On the 1st, I posted that Fall was here. Mother Nature had other plans. That lasted about a week, and then temperatures soared back into the 90s for daytime temperatures. The poor trees and grass have no idea what to do, and neither do we. What we all know is that it's hot!

I guess we should be thankful Fall did a gimme back. We still haven't sorted out our firewood situation so we've been granted a reprieve or extension.

It's apple picking time, not that our trees produced any. But little, ole Cornelia is gearing up for their annual Big Apple Festival held next weekend I believe. The main event will be by the Big Red Apple statue at the train depot and there will be corn hole tournaments, apple bobbing, craft fairs, I imagine Jesse and family will be bringing their alpacas again, and what good festival would be complete without a couple dozen stalls of food vendors?  I know what the apple growers are busy harvesting this week.

I may break down and buy two  to five bushels this year. "My God, woman!! Whatcha gonna do with all them apples?" my post here says some of what.  What I put up lasted a few months except for two jars of apple pie filling, one jar each of apple butter and jelly.  I also want to make apple juice and plain sliced apple, or maybe put Red Hots in some jars. I'm shooting for a year's worth, at least. I want more on hand. I didn't know Mel liked apple juice so much. She'll down a gallon by herself within two weeks.

Well two years ago, I bought a bushel (65 lbs worth) of deer apples and split them between apple jelly, applesauce, apple butter, and apple pie filling. With the skins and cores, I made fruit pectin and apple cider vinegar. In other words, I made a little bit of everything. I try not to waste anything if possible.

Heck, I may even dig up the volunteer potatoes in my garden and try my hand at making white vinegar or alcohol. Wouldn't it be neat to make my own vodka to go into my vanilla extract? I love trying something new. It has the added benefit of being one step closer to being self sufficient. It can also be used medicinally. No, it is not my intention to drink it. Nary a drop has passed these lips for 33 years. Now, I'd have to plant a 50' row for Mel. No, she doesn't drink that much. Experiment small, and then go hog wild! 😜

This is a 1/2 bushel bag
I may not buy the premium apples at the festival for all of this. I'll buy a few for fresh eating. But to preserve? That would cost huge bucks. I'll go for the deer apples again. They ain't so pretty, but the insides are good.

I do know the chickens will be under foot while I cut out bad spot, peel, and core them. They'll fight over whatever I drop. I still remember Houdini, aka Hoo-De-Hoo, running away from under my table with a whole apple in his beak that I had dropped. It was really wormy and not worth saving. I do it all at the patio table outside because that's a quick hose down clean up. I'll be up to my elbows in apple juice so a shower will be in order when I finish this part.

It took a better part of the a morning to peel, core and slice one bushel of apples. Cooking and canning well into the night, but I got it done. I've got a feeling after processing four bushels, let alone five bushels and four days of labor, I won't want to see, smell, or eat an apple for a few weeks. I just know me. I'll be all appled out. But come winter, the thought of apple crisp/crumble or apple pies start running through my mind.

So Fall hasn't fallen yet. But, the apples are ripe, or ripening fast. I'll be canning in the back porch with the fan going for sure. I'll be passing along those recipes over the next month in lots of two or three a week on Wednesday's "Cooking with Chef Jo."

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.