Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Cooking with Chef Jo: Blackberry Jam Without Seeds in Your Teeth

Jams, jellies, and pickles are most people's entry into the world of home canning. I'm no different. The first thing I made and canned independently of my mother and grandmother was strawberry jam. I was in my first trimester of pregnancy when a girlfriend suggested we go berry picking at a local u-pick farm. The year was 1976 and I've never bought store brought jams and jellies since. Since then, I've made multiple gallons of this food staple every year.

I've harvested wild strawberries for the past month. They have been turned into jars of jams, syrups, pie filling, etc and frozen whole berries. Now, it's wild blackberry's turn. I picked a gallon basket full without even breaking a sweat today. That's saying something because this afternoon's high was 89 degrees. I barely brushed the surface of the blackberries without delving into the thicket.

It's going to be a good year for blackberries this year. I picked the ripest, juiciest berries on this pass picking a coule handfuls of reddish black berries. The reason for picking a few under ripe berries is they have a higher pectin within the blackberries. I can make jam without  adding pectin.

Seedless Wild Blackberry Jam
Makes approx. 4 pint jars

What you'll need
10 cups blackberries
1/4 c water
3 cups sugar*
2 lemon*

Note* You may use a sugar substitute if you wish.
* You may use any high pectin fruit peel and juice as a subsitute.

Putting it all together
  • Blend the berries into a puree and water.
  • Zest and squeeze the lemons.
  • Place in a large heavy bottomed saucepan.
  • Bring puree and water to a boil.
  • Boil for five minutes and remove from the heat.
  • Strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer. 
  • Push as much of the pulp through the strainer. Discard the seeds.
  • Return puree to the saucepan.
  • Heat over medium.
  • Add zest and lemon juice to the puree.
  • Add the sugar. Stir well until the sugar dissolves. 
  • Stir frequently to prevent burning.
  • Heat until thermometer reaches 225 degrees.
  • Scrap away any foam.
  • ladle into clean, hot jars.
  • Wipe rim, lid, and ring the jars.
  • Water bath can for ten minutes.
In 12-24 hours when the jars have cooled, check the seal, clean outside of the jars 
and store.

Excellent on any baked goods; toast, English muffins, or pancakes.  Enjoy!
 
 
Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo

 



2 comments:

  1. I was curious about how you got the pulp without the seeds, so this answered that question. I think I'll stick with my jelly bag, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each their own, Leigh. I hate washing all the seeds and skins out of those jelly bags especially being one-handed so I devised this method.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.