Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Cooking with Chef Jo: More Cooking While Recovering Part 2

 I'm still trying to rebuild my stamina after my surgery. It seems the older I get, the more time it takes to get back into my regular routine. It's so much dun hitting the golden years! All I've wanted to eat is eggs and soup. So this week I'm making French onion soup again. We still do not have propane for the stove. I'll be roasting my stash of beef bones in the air fryer this morning. I'll not be caramelizing my onion though. I'll just be adding them to the pot with the beef bones. It should prove an interesting endeavor though. I can't use my mandolin to slice my onions thin this time. The movement in using it is a no-no. I'll be putting the pot on the wood stove for the majority of the cooking time too. I just can't stand and do all the fru-fru activities I usually do while making it as I usually do. But I'll season it like I usually do in the beginning and let it go all day. I usually simmer my beef bones for a minimum of two days, but not this time. I want to eat it tonight. .I do have a block of mozzarella cheese I made last week to slice on top and some mushrooms that have to be used to make it yummy. This will be a down and dirty version of my French onion soup that's for sure, but hopefully it will still be good. I'll have to let you know.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo

It didn't turn out as wonderful, but it was waaarm and nourishing.

6 comments:

  1. Sending healing energy to you. Your meal sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. French onion soup sounds soooo good! Especially with mushrooms. Glad to hear you're on the mend and starting to feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it seems the older I get the longer it takes to spring back. :o(

      Delete
  3. Oooh French Onion Soup! Used to be one of my faves until my silly stomach decided I can't eat onions anymore! I even have those bowls in your photo! I hope your healing continues to be quick Jo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh rain! So sorry about your stomach. I made a set (8) of these bowls for my French Onion soup and a bean pot to complete the set years ago.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.