Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Cooking with Chef Jo: Cream of Anything Dry Soup Mix

 Have you ever notice how many recipes call for Cream of something soup? I usually keep my condensed cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup canned (2 cases worth at all times in my food stores). I get nervous when I get below a case of my cream of anything soup gets low. The same thing goes for soup bases like poultry, beef, and vegetable.

Now being a scratch cook that makes her own bases, usually bone broths for the added minerals and vitamins, I spend hours making just these and canning them up because I love my body. My body, such as it is, is my temple for God. I take care of it the best I can. No MSG, low fat, low sodium, GMOs, and organic when I can get it. Read available and afford it. Not everything is this way, but I do try. By the same token, I'm not opposed to shortcuts like purchasing powdered bases and bouillons also in a pinch. This is the case with most of my dry mixes. Yes, I have access to a freeze dryer to make my own, but when averaging out the cost and time to make my own versus purchasing it, buying it in bulk wins.

This isn't my recipe, but it's pretty much standardized from many recipes. I make this up a quart jar at a time, then I'm less panicky when my food stores run low. If you have dehydrated vegetables and poultry on hand, then you can make Cream of anything soup by just adding water and a few extra ingredients to this base.

Dry Mix for Cream of Anything Soup
Makes Approximately 9 cups
What you'll need

2 c dry, whole milk (I use Hooiser Farms brand through Amazon)*
3/4 c cornstarch
2TBS onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 c chicken, beef, or vegetable bouillon*
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp parsley
2 tsp garlic powder (optional)

* Note- If you are watching your fat, you can substitute skim dry milk.
Can't decide what flavor to use, leave this out and add 1/2 tsp of base when you make a cup of soup. These recipes are pretty forgiving. 

Place in a quart jar and shake well. Store in cool, dark place.

Now how about some recipes on how to make a cup of soup? You know I wouldn't leave you hanging.

Cream of Chicken  Soup
What you'll need
1/3 c cream of Anything base
1 cup boiled water
1/2 tsp chicken bouillon if you didn't add it earlier
1 heaping TBS dried diced chicken or canned chicken

Putting it all together
  • Add all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
  • Stir well.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Turn off the heat.
  • Put lid on the pot and let steep for 5 minutes.
  • Like a thicker soup? Return to low heat and stir until the soup reaches the desired consistency.

Cream of Celery Soup
What you'll need
1/3 cup of Anything Soup Base
1 cup water
1 heaping TBS dehydrated celery
1/2 tsp vegetable base, if not added to the mix
1/2 tsp celery seed, ground

Putting it together
Same directions as above.

Cream of Mushroom Soup
What you'll need
1/3 cup Anything Soup Base
1 cup water
1 heaping TBS dehydrated mushrooms, broken into small pieces
1/2 tsp either beef or vegetable base

Putting it together
Same instructions as above

Cream of Tomato Soup
I don't know about you, but I normally add milk to my tomato soup for the richer mouth feel.

What you'll need
1/3 cup of Anything Soup Base
1 cup of water
2 TBS tomato powder*
1 heaping TBS dried diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp vegetable or beef base if not added to the mix
1/4 tsp basil

*To make tomato powder, place dried tomatoes in a coffee grinder and pulse it until the pieces become powder.

Putting it together
See Cream of Chicken instruction.


The possibilities are endless. Cheese sauces, or casseroles, or have a different cream soup everyday for a month. Fix a sandwich and a small tossed salad for a complete, notorious lunch or dinner in a snap with this Cream of Anything Soup base in your pantry. There's no need to have to rush out to the grocery store for a can of Cream of Anything Soup because you forgot to pick some up.. Enjoy!

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo



2 comments:

  1. Using a dry mix is a good idea. I make "cans" of cream soups and freeze them but this would use less space. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can cream of soup normally, but it's hard to make enough/too much of it. I always run short of one or the other canning two cases at a time. O always can in case lots got storage. Then there are the off shoots like cream of asparagus and cheddar cheese. I find having this on the shelf helps so much.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.