Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Unmexican Casserole

Some of my most delicious recipes come from cleaning out the refrigerator and substituting what I have on hand. Such is today's recipe. Originally, I had planned a fusion take on Mexican Quesadillas for supper. I had leftover pot roast in the refrigerator. I wanted something quick and easy for supper, and really feel like cooking. Quesadillas take a little of this or that for a meal. An excellent way to clean out your refrigerator of those leftovers.

How do you know it's time to clean out your frig? Well for me, it's a lack of Rubbermaid storage  containers. I bought a set of containers, just one. When they are all full, it's time to clean out the frig. Nothing is over a week old.

My rule of thumb for leftover is a maximum of two meals as it's originally prepare, and then making some new with it. It was time to create a new dish with the pound of leftover beef. I had pinto beans, rice, some chopped onions and celery,  black olives,and corn relish in the containers left in the frig so I pulled it all out. I had about 1/4 of a bag of of stale tortillas chips from the pantry that I could rejuvenate in the microwave. I had about an ounce of extra sharp cheddar and 1/4 bag (about an ounce) of mozzarella cheese leftover too. The only thing I was lacking was flour tortillas. They are easy enough to make. Did I mention that I really didn't want to cook? Okay, scratch the quesadillas.

What could I use in place of the flour tortillas. I'm searching the refrigerator. Leftover pie crust? No, it would be too heavy. Ah, phyllo dough leftover from when I made peanut butter and jelly baklava. That would make a light, crispy additions.

I grabbed my chili powder and a pint of tomato salsa from the pantry. While the beef was shredding via the Kitchenaid mixer, I sprinkled some onions and chili powder on the leftover pinto beans. I microwaved them for 3 minutes. These I'd hit with my immersion blender for "reftied" beans later. I took the leftover corn relish and mixed it with the leftover rice.

The Casserole
I emptied the 16 oz jar of my basil tomato salsa into a baking pan. I brushed two layers of phyllo dough with melted butter and laid it on top of the salsa. Next came a thick layer of shredded beef, onions, celery, olives, a mixture of grated cheeses, and all topped with a sprinkling of chili powder. I continued layering this way until all the ingredients were used up. I topped it all with 2 layers of butter brushed phyllo.

I baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When the time was up, the phyllo dough was a crispy golden brown. I flipped the casserole out onto a serving platter so the salsa was on top. It was an unmexican feast fit for a king... unmexican casserole, unrefried beans and the sweet and savory corn with rice with rejuvenated tortilla chips. It got the Mel's seal of approval to definitely make it again.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.