Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Cherries

I'm buying a couple dwarf cherry trees for the orchard this year. I fact, I just ordered them. They should arrive by the mid April planting date for our 7B gardening zone. At maturity, 5 years, they should produce 25 lbs each of cherries for fresh eating or canning. I can't wait. I love my cherries!

The variety I bought are a heirloom variety, of course. Self pollinating, fruit mid summer and easy care for organic orchard. They grow to only 10' tall which is an added plus for my short stature. In honor of my ordering the cherry trees, I thought I'd share one of my favorite cherry recipes with y'all. You can bet that there are more coming.

Cherry Waldorf Salad with Rice
 Serves 8
 My Cherry Waldorf Salad with Rice is a bright, colorful, tasty side dish for any meat dish in summer. A great hit at neighborhood barbecues or pot lucks.


1/4 c mayonnaise, I make my own
1/4 c sour cream, I make my own
2 Tbs honey
1/8 tsp salt
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice, I just squeeze half a lemon
2 large apples, cored and cubed into 1" pieces
3 ribs of celery, small diced
1 c cherries, pitted and halved
1/2 c dried cranberries, rehydrated
1 c rice, cooked and cooled by your preferred method
1/2 c nuts, your choice toasted and coarse chopped if using a larger nut

  • Rehydrate cranberries- either place in a bowl of boiled water, or submerge in bowl of water and microwave for 2 minutes, or boil on stove top until reconstituted. Drain, set aside and let cool.
  • Place mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, sour cream, and honey in large bowl and whisk until the dressing is smooth.
  • Add apples, cherries, celery, cranberries, nuts, and rice to the bowl with the dressing. 
  • Toss until it is all well coated
  • Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but overnight is okay too.
  • Before service, toss again and place in a lettuce lined bowl for extra fancy touch.

For an additional meaty dinner, add 2 cups of cooked diced chicken or canned tuna for a cold, summer dinner for a Chicken or Tuna Cherry Waldorf Salad with Rice. Enjoy!
Y'all have a blessed day!
Jo



2 comments:

  1. I adore cherry pie but my cherry tree has been a real flop. Not sure why since I'm in the same zone as you. Maybe I need to try again this fall.

    ReplyDelete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.