Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Still Time for Sweet and White Taters?

I may fail at this but I'm going to try and beat the odds. It's late August almost the end of summer with the first freeze date of October 26th. It a gamble.

So what am I doing? I've had russets and sweet potatoes sprouting all over the place. The humid Georgia summer is to blame. I planted them all this week. I must be insane, right? I planted vegetables that require 89-120 days to mature.

I'm second guessing Mother Nature here. But, check my reasoning. We've had some down right, cockeyed weather this year. Our spring had a late start. We had lows near or at freezing until mid June. So the summer heat didn't consistently really start until July. It's still in the 90s with lows in the 70s. So there's plenty of time until the projected freeze date for sweet potatoes to get some great growth on to form tubers. It's the same for potatoes, but they'll love the cooler temperatures. I'm banking on a day in the first freeze date being off by 30 days or close to it.

I'll dig up the tubers around Thanksgiving (US) giving them a full 90 days. The tubers will/may be smaller than if I had planted them at the proper time, but every mouthful counts in the lean times, AKA winter.

I may fail, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Worse comes to worst, I'll leave some of them in the ground and they'll put on new seed growth when the temperature is ripe for them to next year. I'll just mulch them heavily over winter and add compost in the spring. Or, I'll have a fabulous harvest. It's anybody's guess. Wish me luck.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo

6 comments:

  1. Good luck Jo! I really hope you have a good potato harvest in October! Personally I'd be too much of a cynic to plant anything right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the taters. I think you will be fine with them. I too started some just a few weeks ago and they are growing like crazy. I do garden in containers. Hope we both get a bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to Mother Nature's ears, Nicole.

      Delete
  3. I just yanked my green/wax bean plants, and thought man it's perfect weather to plant fall beans. There was no way i was asking my husband to till again. Ha ha! It's been a drought here, so I did not do the gamble. Good for you for trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina. I didn't till before planting. I just added heaps of hay and compost to existing beds to plant them in.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.