Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Home Grown Chick Update

Well in all total, the three broody hens hatched out nine chicks before demands of motherhood broke their broodiness. I believe more would have hatched if the hens had not broken their broodiness, but not worries, we currently have enough hens to meet our egg sales. Of the nine, three were crushed to death by their first time moms. A shame but it happens. I couldn't sex them. We'll just have to wait until they are 13 weeks old. We'll butcher the roos and reintroduce the hens back into the flock.

One chick fell from the coop during the storms from tropical storm Sally. It landed inside the run and was a soaked and cold two-day old chick by the time I found it. It was barely cheeping when I found it. It was the smallest of the bunch too. I scooped it up mud and all and started calling for Mel as I approached the back porch. Mel had hurried because I used the word "help." I quickly explained to her what had happened as she snatched the little chick up and wrapped it in her in her t-shirt and light weight jacket. Clucking at it in smoothing tones as she hurried inside.

It was still sprinkling rain as I tended to the rest of the flock. I knew they wouldn't be doing much foraging in the rain so I gave them an extra portion of scratch and feed. I made sure everyone had water and picked up the two eggs that the momma chickens had allowed to be laid in the coop. The polka dot and silkie hens wouldn't allow many hens into the coop. They were fiercely protective of the babies.

 Mel and I decided not to let the mommas raise their chicks, but to bring them inside into the brooder box. I lined the box with chuck pads and placed the heat lamp in the box. To put straw or hay in the bottom would have meant more time in the rain for me. I had just dried off and changed my clothes from my last adventure outside and wasn't relishing the idea of going out in the current downpour unless I had to.

Meanwhile, Mel had checked out the chick. It was finally warm enough for her to do so. It's chirping was definitely louder and stronger. Mel found the only other injury this black puff ball had suffered was a broken toe from it's 3' fall from the coop. What do you do for a broken (nondisplaced) toe on a chick smaller than the palm of your hand. All the tape she trued was way too thick. We decided to leave it alone. It chirps in pain constantly, bit there's nothing we can do for it. The only   Otherwise, its eating, drinking, and pooping fine.

 I had asked Mel why she didn't use the blow dryer on the little chick to warm her faster and she replied that she thought it would scare her. She'd had enough trauma in her short life. The only time she was quiet was when she it snuggled under my chin. It was in this position when it died a 5 AM the next morning. Poor little thing.

And then, there were five.

The next lull in the storm, I went outside to pick up the rest of the chicks from their nests. Three from the hen house and three from the nest on the front porch. They are now safely housed in the brooder box. They were moved to the inside brooder box. They didn't like being taken away from their mothers. After a couple of hours they were all snuggled together under the warmth of the lamp sleeping peacefully. When awake, they found their food and water with no problem. A few more adventurous ones explored their new surroundings. They are so little and so few compared to the fifteen we had in there  earlier in the year,  their surroundings seem way too big for them. But, they'll grow. 

Y'all have a blessed day!

Cockeyed Jo


2 comments:

  1. Lot's of work but what fun. Anyway I think it would be fun. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like watching your children grow up only much faster.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.