Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Cooking with Chef Jo: Easy, But Oh so Good Éclair Cake

 Of all the desserts I prepared for my beloved in 25 years of marriage, this Éclair cake was one he requested over and over again. It even beat out my apple pie with sharp cheddar cheese. He loved it so much that he even requested it the week before he died. At the time, he was eating only a tablespoon of real food at a time because it took too much energy to eat. I can't even remember where I got the recipe from it's been so long ago. 

For its fancy name, you'd think it would be hard to make. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Simple ingredients that can be store bought and layered. Of course originally, I made the components from scratch, but after my strokes. I went back to the simplified version. I'll give you the simplified version and you can substitute the from scratch version as your heart desires. It's only five or six ingredients that you may have in your cupboard and refrigerator already.

Éclair Cake
Serves 9
What you'll need
1 box Honey Graham crackers
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding, made according to directions
1 8oz tub of whipped topping
3 oz chocolate syrup
1 small container chocolate frosting, I used dark fudge

Putting it together
  • Line 8x8 pan with parchment or waxed paper.
  • Fold whipped topping into the prepared vanilla pudding. Fold in completely.
  • Place a single layer of graham crackers in the bottom of the pan.
  • Top with half the pudding mixture and spread smooth.
  • Add a single layer of graham crackers.
  • Spread chocolate syrup to cover the graham crackers.
  • Add remaining pudding mixture.
  • Top with final single layer of graham crackers.
  • Spread this layer with chocolate frosting.
  • Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for four hours. Or, freeze for two hours and allow to thaw for 20 minutes on the counter before serving.
Now when I first made this, everything was made from scratch: graham cracker squares were baked, vanilla pudding was cooked then chilled, real heavy cream was sweetened then whipped, chocolate syrup was made in advance and canned for a rainy day, and the fudgy, chocolate frosting was beaten within an inch of its life to be light and fluffy. But those days are gone with my strokes or so I thought.

At times I wonder if my beloved noticed the changes in taste of his last two batches of his favorite dessert. All the preservatives and chemicals wouldn't hurt him now, but I did the best I could at the time. 

This week I made this dessert from scratch for the first time since his death eight years ago. Partly in remembrance and to ease my sorrow. But, the main reason...it's just that yummy for my tummy!

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo
.

6 comments:

  1. Jo, this looks soooo good! Dan and I have always loved chocolate eclairs, but they're too fussy to make from scratch (for me, anyway :) and I don't like to buy them because of the ingredients. This looks like the best of all worlds! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh la la! I love this, I'm going to bookmark the recipe!! Alex loves eclairs, I'll surprise him with a cake!! :) Thanks Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Not as rich calorie wise as the real éclairs. You can make it with sugar-free pudding, and no sugar cool whip if you want to skinny it up. But it still tastes tastes rich.

      Funny story. My daughter, the pastry chef, "stole" this and my banana pudding recipe (sugar free version) and she made huge pans of them. She took them to her husband's (army) company picnic. They told her she was killing them. They had done poorly on their physicals and needed to loose weight. She showed them the numbers per serving and showed them a serving size of 1 cup. They hugged her and twirled her around. There are advantages to me being a diabetic once upon a time. lol

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.