Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Caramel Apple Rice Pudding a Canning No-No??

Caramel apple rice pudding is usually a big no-no where the FDA is concerned or you won't find it in any canning recipe book out there, but the rebel in me tried it.  You know what... it's delicious and it works! It's a shelf stable snack or dessert. Within all the power outages going on, it was worth a try. So far it's been on my pantry shelves for five months and it's still as good as when I first canned it. I think this is a keeper for my fall canning repertoire. So I'm sharing it with you.

Back in May last year, I tried my hand at making rice pudding my way. I liked it so much I decided to try and can some so whenever I wanted a quick dessert or snack I could have it. You know me, I'm all about making it once and enjoying it many times. I've been canning rice and milk products for more than a couple of years now with no ill effects, so why not rice pudding? Worse comes to worse it would be a failure.

Turns out that Mel doesn't like rice pudding so I'll be canning these in half pint jars just for me. (grinning, goody-goody gum drops!) This was an experiment so I only tried a case of jars. I figured one testing jar per month. If it held true for twelve months, I'd do full pint jars next fall. This way I could have two servings for me within a week if I wanted it.

Caramel Apple Rice Pudding
8- 1/2 pint jars

What you'll need
6 cups diced peeled apples, small dice* 1/2 cup water 2.5 cups white sugar 2.5 cups brown sugar 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBS raisin for each jar
1/4 c long grain white rice per jar, rinsed well
milk to fill jars

*NOTE- I used my Vidalia Onion Chopper's small grate or you can hand chop apples into 1/4" pieces.

Putting it all together
  • In medium saucepan combine apples, water, white and brown sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • Over medium heat bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly to prevent burning.
  • Remove from heat and stir in vanilla mixing well.
  • Place 2TBS of apple mixture in each jar.
  • Add raisins and rice to each jar.
  • Top each jar to 1" headspace with milk.
  • Using the debubbling tool stir contents of each jar.
  • Wipe rims with towel to remove any splashed contents, lid and band jars.
  • Place hot jars in a hot pressure canner.
  • Seal and vent for 10 minutes. Pressure can for 15 minutes per your altitude.
There you have it. Caramel Apple Rice pudding in a jar. It's shelf stable for an anytime dessert or snack. The above picture shows a garnish of sliced fresh apple, sprinkle of additional cinnamon and small mint leaves with the rice pudding in a bowl. For just me, I'll simply grab a spoon and eat it out of the jar.

Now if you are one of those folks that want everything tried and approved by the powers that be, go ahead and ignore this recipe. It's canning with grains and milk which are not approve for home canning. But my house, my rules.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Chef Jo

2 comments:

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.