Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Garden/Market Ho!

We've got lift off or at least germination in our soil plugs. It's so exciting!! Many seedlings have their first leaves already thanks to a jump start I gave them that I found on YouTube. Actually, I've done this before with fruit trees, but not with vegetables before.

The jump start is soaking the seeds for at least 8 hours. They swell making them much easier to pick up and place on a damp paper towel. I put them in labeled baggies and let them sprout first, and then planted the sprouts in my seed starting mix (50% peat, 40% perlite, &10% compost) . Total time was one week Even long to germinate carrots are showing their first leaves! I was amazed because usually it take 2-3 weeks for them to reach this stage.

The plastic wrap came off the trays today and I turned on the grow lights. I positioned the lights (via the chains) to one foot away from the plants. By the germination-seedling rate, we should have a pretty good garden this year... if the weather cooperates.

Years ago I showed y'all how I made my soil block maker, didn't I? Yes, I did. It's here. I used my empty pill bottles that are 2" in diameter. I've since that time, made several of them. I can make six of them (3x2 layout) at a time. I tried a 4x2 layout but my hand wasn't big enough to make eight uniform blocks so I adapted the design to this. I connected them together with paint stirrer sticks. The double layer makes it sturdy. I simply drilled a hole in them and used a washer and nut to attach it. My hand easily stretches across the top bar to push it. I had perfect 2"x 3" soil blocks. Heck with paying $36 for a metal one. It's bad enough that I have to pay for my drugs every quarter (because I HAVE to have them), but sending all those plastic bottles to the landfill should be a crime. The 2" size will allow growth until several true leaves form. Then, the plants can go into the ground or container with ease. No pots to unmold or tear, just dig a hole and plop them in.

We're off to a good start for the spring garden and for selling transplants at the farmers market in two weeks. The market was very, very slow last yesterday. I blame it on the cooler temperatures and the rain.  Next Saturday will tell the tale it's supposed to be in the 60s and no rain.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo

2 comments:

  1. Okay, you made a believer when you said your carrots are sprouting! I love that jumpstart what a great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us spring can be a very short season. Last year we had a two day spring before the temps jumped to the high 90s. Jump starting is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.