Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Cooking with Chef Jo: When is Cooking NOT Cooking?

You might be wondering why I haven't posted a recipe for y'all in a couple of weeks. Well, it's like this. I ain't been cooking much. Sure I'm cooking each night, sort of, but not really cooking anything exciting to talk about. So when is cooking Not cooking? when you are opening up jars of leftovers and reheating them.  And, that's all I've done for the past couple weeks.

I've been so busy tweaking the cookbook, doing crafty stuff to replenish inventory, and just trying to figure out my next move that 5 PM sneaks up on me most nights. So, it's open a jar of soup/stews/chili from the pantry and make some cheese toast to go with it. I did make some tuna salad to use up a half dozen eggs last week. On the few warmer nights, we enjoyed it for dinner with some homemade, air fried tortilla crisps and salsa. But that's just cutting up some hard boiled eggs, some onions and celery, and some seasonings. Not much special about that. Even the bread was store bought. 😮

It's even going to be worse next week with garden planting starting. We finally have a few days in a row with no rain. There just are not enough hours in the day to do it all. The Velcro strap, one of three broke,

so I'm sitting more now too until I can get in to the orthotics' place to get it fixed next week. I kind of have-to-have that brace to stand and walk. We brought in the wheelchair from the barn only to find the rats had chewed and dry rot had taken care of the wheels. GRRR! The new pair of tires were $42 through Amazon.  We finally got all the house and food stores building to have them take up residence in the barn. We need a barn cat to adopt us.


The nighttime lows are still in the forties and there us a definite chill in the air after sun down so for now my pantry/food stores works. It's a good thing too. Soon the fresh greens will be big enough to cut for fresh salads again. I can't hardly wait. I'm so tired of store bought salad mixes. Of course, recently I've been boosting them up with fresh micro greens. Oh to have the high tunnel greenhouse Mel talked about building for year around growing, but that's still in the to-do folder. .

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo
 



5 comments:

  1. This time of year it gets too busy to spend much time cooking. But then, that's why we fill the pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is putting a balance to cooking and handiwork. I seem to either be doing one or the other and no time for the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a master juggler. I limit my activities to two...two loads of canning and while the canner is coming off pressure, I craft or cook.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about when cooking is not cooking lol...we've been eating from jars a lot lately with maybe a few days of actually dinner cooking. Oh those mice...such pests...they ate through one of my garbage cans to get to the bird seed this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had rats eat their into the rat poison container and eat the whole thing! Teach them to chew my plastic containers, but it did wonders for the rat population.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.