Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sowing Seeds and Watching Them Grow

Is there anything more boring than that? Anything is farther from the truth. Every farmer longs for this time of year.  Here in our necks of the woods violets, daffodils and crocus are all abloom. They are first to hearld in the coming spring. The peach trees are starting to show their colors this week too. Of course many a year, these blooms are covered just as quickly with late snows or killing frosts. Peaches actually need this drop in temperature to produce good fruit.

I'm watching for the first signs of green sprouts in my indoor garden. Any day now, I should see the new signs of life in these trays. Each sprout holds a promise of abundant growth and harvest. We are positively giddy at the promise.

For the first time in months, I didn't rush to start a fire in the wood stove upon rising. There may be a few coolish days to come, but spring is definitely on it's way. I'm itching to get my hands dirty. Not the little bit dirty from planting seeds, but the up to the elbows of sweet smelling earth kind of dirty. I get this way around mid March and it continues through to October. From Daddy's little girl making mud pies to a gardener trying to live an organic, self sufficient lifestyle. Yes, it's been my life long dream.

So I sowed carrots, lettuces, radishes, and green peas week before last. My potato chits are hardening off and ready to go in the garden. I took a week off and now this week, I'm sowing some more seeds. Thirty to sixty seeds each. I'll repeat the pattern again this week. In two more weeks, I'll sow corn, onions, garlic, and herbs. I like the instant gratification of seeing plants in my garden. Plus, I can mulch around plants better to hold down the weed population. After the weed explosion of 2019, we honestly considered planting everything in pots this year.

Mel and I differ in opinions on starting seeds. I say, start them all and plant the plants. This way I can pick and choose which plants to grow. Mel says plant the seeds in the grown the way nature intended. My major problem with this approach is not all seeds will germinate, Then you are left with gaps in your rows. When working a small garden space, every inch counts. Every inch has to produce something. Nature needs a push or a head start.

Thirty Roma tomato plants netting 300 lbs of tomatoes in a 26' row may seem extreme, but I've done it. Secession planting green beans for a yield for 260 lbs of green beans for a year is also doable. Twenty pound harvests of oregano, basil, and other herbs planted around each other provides pest deterrent and happy cohabitation relationships.

I'm looking forward to sitting on the front porch swing shelling peas til my fingers hurt. Loading half pint canning jars with my bounty to squirrel them away until the fresh eating is done. Packing tomatoes away in the freezer to can into sauce later. I will have to can one batch of tomatoes to keep us in sauce though. The case of sauce I made this fall is almost gone.

To have a full stores building once again. Full of the fruits of our labor. Yes, I'm sowing seeds and watching them grow. I'm shooting for 100% self sustainability in green peas, green beans, corn, potatoes, and tomatoes this year. Plus, a year's supply of kimchi and sauerkraut for me. All homegrown.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo


4 comments:

  1. I've tried both yours and Mel's way of starting seeds and have come to prefer putting the plants in the ground. I think that's because I like mixed (companion planted) beds but everything doesn't germinate at the same time which leaves plenty of room for weeds to grow in the bare spots. I don't have a good place for indoor seed starting, however, because of the way our windows are shaded. I've got a few things in the ground---more soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got us beat for outdoors planting. We plant nothing in ground until the weekend after Easter.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this Jo...I would love to watch seeds grow right now and the idea of sitting on the porch and shelling peas sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.