Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, March 1, 2020

When Pitfalls and Plans Collide

Blunt honesty time...
When it comes to operating a homestead on a shoe string budget, there are times when pitfalls and plans collide. This month or the next several months are like that for us again. Sigh!!!

It's March first and for the first in over ten years for Mel and seventeen for me, we have a car payment due. We were in a do or die situation that nobody wants. Mel hadn't replaced her truck that I wrecked last May.  She was being picky about finding the right vehicle. Her list was rather lengthy of wants. Meanwhile, my 17-year old Toyota van was pulling double duty. Well, it threw of rod and busted the seal. A rebuilt engine would have cost more than the van was worth. It needed to go into the shop, but we couldn't afford the down time with it being the only vehicle here nor the expense. So we were stuck, quite literally. We had to call a neighbor to bring us home.

By God's Grace, Mel found a 1996 Chevy Blazer within a day of earnestly looking. She had enough for the down payment, tax, title and tags, but it left us with about $160 until the 20th of February (It was only the 5th). She has 6 monthly car payments of a little over $200 a month which isn't bad. She had a friend finance it despite of the fact she hasn't held a paying job in almost 4 years! It was a "Thank you, Jesus! moment. As much as we hate being in debt again, our back was against the wall. Our homestead is three miles from town and our closest neighbor is 1/4 of a mile away. We had to have transportation.

With all the bad weather we've had, Mel didn't drive it. After about two weeks, she tried to go to the library and grocery store. The car didn't start. The alternator was defunct. So Mel called Auto Zone for the part and had them deliver it to the tune of $158. We now had $2! I actually had $45 in my account but couldn't get to the bank.

Mel got the part and put it on. The battery was dead so Mel put it on the charger. It didn't hold a charge that meant a bad battery. Another $180 to replace it and now the car payment is due! Sucks to be us right now. We were supposed to be ordering chicks this week for the next stage if Mel's poultry farm. Well, the poultry farm business plan has been put on the back burner for the time being.

My question is, how can you make income if you are topsy curvy in finances already? When the  best laid plans just aren't feasible? Somethings have to give and in our case, it's the new business venture. There's no way around it. It's going to be hard enough keeping groceries on the for us these next few months let alone having extra mouths to purchase and feed. When our first batch start laying, we'll have some extra income to work with and by then, the Blazer should be paid off too. We'll start saving for my vehicle. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I'll have one.

I'm beginning to be concerned just where the money is coming from. I'm more than qualified for half the jobs in the newspaper. In fact over qualified, but I'm physically and marginally mentally unable to work anymore. And, I also run into the same problem as Mel, I'm too blasted old. I'm older than her. Mel's depression keeps her out of the job market. Around here, the help wanted section is maybe half a column long (3 or 4 ads any given week).

So what are we going to do? I'm praying and Mel's kind of losing it. It was financially tight, but we were squeaking by and that was before car payments. I can't deal with this. I'm standing on God's mercy and promise. We'll get through this too and it will be another "Thank you, Jesus!" moment. I've had so many of these moments in my life. When all else fails, faith is answer. Mel is coming along, but still a long way off from total faith, surrender, and trust in God. I will say that since I've been here, she has grown in faith.

I usually do not speak at length about my faith in this venue very often, but I've also made no secret about being a minister in my work-a-day job prior to my strokes. So it should not be surprising to y'all that I'm talking like this. Building strong followers and fellowship is/was my life's calling. It's the reason I left my old life behind when God told me to come here in the first place. If nothing else, I am a faith-filled, obedient child. He has given me all and asks very little in return by comparison. Just as in our forefather's time, it is again for this homestead.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.