Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, April 19, 2020

As If the Lockdown Wasn't Bad Enough...

As if we weren't restricted enough because of the virus, we had a string of thunderstorms and tornadoes last Sunday night through sunrise. A few areas surrounding us were hit. Thankfully, living in a hollar like we do, the tornadoes pass us by.

Me, I slept right through it, but Mel was awake until the power cut off. I blissfully awoke at 7AM unaware of the night's events. The sun was shining and it was already 70 degrees. All was right with the world except the power was still off. I had forgotten to plug in my phone. It was 11% charge left. My laptop battery was sitting at 2 hours of charge left. With the power off, the modem wasn't working. We had no signal on our phones without it. It's the down side of living in a hollar.

I just got an earlier start on homestead activities since there was no power. I started the day off weeding the garden. Yes, the weeds are healthily and robustly growing again. Some have even started setting blooms. I grabbed the 3-gallon bucket of plantains, wild strawberry leaves, dandelions, grasses, and lemon balm, and headed to the back with the rabbits and chickens daily allotment of fresh greens. I also had a 5-gallon bucket full of Virginia creeper for the compost bin.

I opted for hand weeding the garden rather than till it under. There were just too many weeds that propagate by their roots. Imagine the explosion of these weeds after tilling! God save me from this insanity!

I gave the adult chickens their cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds. The adult free ranging chicken no longer eat the commercial pellets instead they'd rather free range from the smorgasbord of goodies on the property.  Right now they are having their fill of red wiggler worms that get turned up in the garden as I weed. I've been feeding their pellets, cracked corn, and black oil sunflower seeds as scratch to the pullets. There's no since in wasted layer feed lying around uneaten.

I went back out in the garden to pull up more weeds from my rows. Mel is setting up self wicking containers on 2x4s on blocks for some of the garden. I asked her to come outside in the sunshine and help pull weeds. She declined. I almost finished a 26'x 4' piece of the garden before she came out. She went into her workshop intent on cutting wood for her container garden only to realize that without power, she couldn't use her power tools. Now, I've already mentioned how Mel is without her tech. Three days had her bouncing off the walls after Hurricane Irma hit us two years ago. And no, I haven't bought a generator nor installed the solar back up system yet...there's just been too many have-to-have-it-right-now emergencies.

We now after 12 hours without internet, she was pacing. She paced around so much that Whirling Dervish, her emotional support cat, was yowling at her as she followed her around.  She must have gone around the outside of the house three times while I picked up a bucket of kindling. Finally on the 3 and 1/2 pass by me, she said, "Road trip!"

I took my bucket of kindling inside, got my drink and headed to her car. She grabbed her washcloth with alcohol in a baggie and her keys. We didn't go far. Just three miles down the road to get gas. The price was lower than I'd seen in a decade...$1.39 a gallon. Once the tank was filled, I asked, "Where to now?" Her response was, "I dunno. I just have to get away from the house."

Unlike with Irma, we couldn't just pop into McDonald's for a tech fix for her. Our county is on lockdown and not much is open except for drive through services. We drove to and through to the next town. There are almost no cars on the road. If stopped, we could always say we were on our way to the grocery store, or pharmacy, or even our way home. As the minutes ticked by, she began to relax. I thought she was on her way home but she changed her mind and drove to Tractor Supply. She wanted to put out some weed and feed for grass in the backyard. She really wants to kill off the garden area down to the dirt, but I'm against it. I don't want those chemicals anywhere near my food crops. I'd spent four years to keep and build the garden organically. Not to mention that it's now five times as big than when I first moved here. There was quite a bit of work and expense to grow the soil.

The good news is that I managed to find my non GMO/heirloom seeds! I didn't find everything I wanted, but I've got a good start. Their already started plant section was hit pretty hard. There was nary a tomato, seed potato, cuke, pepper, nor greens left. Only the empty containers that held the starts were visible. The same goes for the chicks, but they'll be getting more in Wednesday.

My quail breeder put me off for two and a half weeks for delivery of quail that I wanted. He said his phone has been ringing off the hook since this crisis started. Even the 250 quail eggs in his incubator (due to hatch tomorrow) were bought already. He promised me 24 quail, straight run, from the next batch of 250. That isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it will do. In six to eight weeks after delivery, I'll have my own eggs to incubate and birds to eat. The powers that be, now say it will take 18 months to heal from this shut down so I'm not worried. We're homesteaders and not doing this for the short run.

Anyhow, we left Tractor Supply and headed home. We were praying the electricity was back on. It wasn't. We had cold leg quarters I'd cooked over the weekend and a salad. Between foraging and leftover salad goods, we aren't lacking in salads. About three hours later, the power came back on. Mel is a happy camper now. She's had a hot shower (the water well and water heater are both electric) and now, she's glued to the computer binging on the COVID-19 coverage. Me, I'm writing this post to tell you about it. My shower is waiting for me next as soon as our water heater recovers. I got mighty sweaty weeding the garden.

But tomorrow is another day. I hope to get another 26'x4' weeded, then I can plant the corn and green beans. Yippee! By the way, that's only 1/4 of the house garden weeded. Well, the bunnies and chickies are enjoying the weeds I've pulled. Next is the orchard. H e l p!

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo


2 comments:

  1. I guess one way to look at the current situation is that it was a "blessing" that the crisis is "only" a pathogenic virus. If it had been an EMP or CME, we could be without electricity and telecommunications for a very long time. That was some folks' worst case scenario, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, pathogenic viruses hit their peak and dwindle as folks recover or self builds immunities to it. Except for the zombie virus.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.