Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

English Peas- Disappointing Harvest

Harvest hopes dashed!
I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my projected harvest for English peas is way off. I'm averaging one to two peas per pod versus 6-10 peas per pod. The harvest started out well, but has now dwindled down to this. I'm thoroughly disappointed. Even with 99% germination of the seeds, there's no way I'll meet my goal of self sufficiency in this vegetables unless we have a very productive fall crop.

I believe part of the problem was over worked pollinators. When the peas flowered there was direct competition from the peach trees, apple trees, clover, and assorted other things in bloom. I wish I wasn't so allergic to bees. I'd keep a hive or two. Even after four years of being here and eating local honey, I still have to grab my Epi-pen when popped by the local population. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen once or twice a gardening season.  Epi-pens ain't cheap. If my airway didn't  try to close off with swelling, even when stung on the leg, I would bother, but it does. Anyone with this severe reaction has no business being around bees, but they are a necessary evil for a garden.

The other part of the problem was the seed itself. While I got 99% germination. I'd never planted this variety before. The variety, Lincoln, I usually planted was sold out when I purchased the seed. I had to go with an unknown heritage variety. Needless to say, I won't be buying it again. It had a no star rating. Now, I know why. But at the time, there was no other choice. At least I made up for the cost of the seed...just barely. Lesson learned! 

Meanwhile, the first plantings of Tendergreen bush green beans have flowered and the bees are busy with those. I'm getting ready this week to add compost and plant another three 8' rows more this week. The first plantings of sweet corn that survived the chickens and dogs will be knee high by the 4th of July while the second planting of the 3-sister mounds will be a little over mid shin worth of growth. The dent corn is once again planted in the orchard area.  It is at mid shin level, I'm not worried about it though. It'll catch up and be harvested before the first frost. The black eyed peas, kidney and lima beans, and the squashes have sprouted They look to be strong shoots. I've sowed the pumpkin seeds closest to the far end of the garden from the house. They'll have plenty of room to spread out. 

The cantaloupe and watermelon have been once again trellised to grow vertically once again on the repurposed metal DVD rack Mel picked up at a store closing liquidation sale, No sign of rust in 7 years of use outdoors and its bear to move. More than enough support for two Sugar Baby watermelons and cantaloupes on each 3'x 6' side. It's easy to train the vines up the rack.

I'm still hoping to produce enough to get us by for at least a year. Here. we're crossing our fingers for no more disappointing harvests.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo


4 comments:

  1. I had to look at your bio to see where you live. I am in Florence, Or. The growing time is short, it is constantly raining, big wind and not much sun. I am seriously growing my first garden. Because I rent I am doing it in containers. I am so happy with my results. Things are finally starting to show up. Squash, the first sight of cucumber, carrots for some reason love this weather. I hope I get a smidgen of what you harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's disappointing about the peas. It's been a difficult year to find a good selection of seeds. Your thoughts on poor pollination are logical. Folks talk about things like mason bees for pollinators, although I know nothing about them or if they sting. Epi-pens are outrageously expensive, not to mention no one likes getting stung, allergic or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mason bees are good pollinators. We've got quite a few. Now the Carpenter bees aren't. Both will sting if you grab them so I'm very careful around them too. Epi pens ARE expensive! But since they came on the market, doctors no long prescribe the vials unless you have very bad and multiple incidences. My insurance covers them so they cost me $30 a piece. Luckily, I very cautious around bees and maybe need 1 a year. Nothing is scarier than not being able to breathe because every second closes your airway more. So the price is worth it.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.