Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Rain is Gone. Let the Work Begin!

Crazy weather in reverse now
After the past couple weeks of rain and cooler temperatures, we are having the rises in temperatures into the 80s finally. The weather the past couple years has been nuts. Global warming or whatever is the cause has made it difficult to predict growing wise.

Mel was finally able to make a pass with the weed eater to prepare it for tilling the summer garden. The weather and me has made the planting late this year. Maybe fall and winter will be late coming also, but as I said, it's been hard predicting the weather. As crazy as it sounds, I'll be prepping the fall seeds as soon as I finish planting the summer garden... just in case. I can't afford to lose a single opportunity to grow food.

I've harvested 4 lbs of oregano, 2 lbs of rosemary and 1 lb of sage from the perennial herb beds so far. I gave them a "haircut" this week. That wasn't even cutting it to the ground. I left a foot on each plant to continue to grow! When you think of the cost savings in just oregano, it's mind boggling. A 24 oz jar/ 1.5 lbs) of dried oregano is $24-$27 in the stores.
Four pounds of fresh equals two 24 oz containers full after it was dried. All I did was buy six plants ($3.50 each) two years ago.  Sure I watered it some and spread compost around them each fall, but that was about it besides harvesting the stems. By the time of the first frost killing it back (I do the six inch crop cut, and add compost mulch) I'll have harvested six to eight pounds of oregano. That's dried weight and a savings of $90+ for ONE herb. [Rosemary $16 for 24 oz, Sage $17 for 16 oz] Of annual herbs, like basil, I'll have harvested about half that much but every little bit helps. We are self-sufficient in the major herbs we use.

On a side note- I'm using the new Blogger interface for the first time and it's taking me twice as long to do everything. It's quite irritating. It's been over a decade since they've done this, and I've held off not doing it until they gave me no choice. My old, stroke addled mind does not take kindly to changes. 

Today is our youngest daughter's birthday! Happy Birthday, Jennifer! 🎂❤

The English peas have flowered and set fruit. As soon as they fatten up, I'll harvest them. I think I'll freeze them rather than canning them this year. I can always can them later. But it all depends on the harvest, if I can get 80 lbs, I'll consider canning them. Does 80 lbs sound like a lot of peas to you? Well, think about it. If a 15 oz (8 oz drained) can of peas provides a vegetable for two meals, we eat peas twice a week (including soups, stews, and pot pies) times 52 weeks in a year that roughly equals 104- 1/2 lb pint jars or freezer bags for two people for a year.

That's how I do the math to get how much to plant. I've got 60+ pea plants in the ground. Yes, every seed sprouted. I consider myself extremely blessed. I love❤❤ Park Seed Company! All of them had flowers on them. The bees and other pollinators did their job. How do I know? I watched them and counted. I even discounted the flowers by 50%, and still we'll have enough peas.   Is that counting your chickens before they hatch? Maybe, but that's how critical this harvest is for us.

Extra peas were planted against forces of nature (storm damage, bugs, birds, etc.). I try to plan for every contingency. So I planted my peas on 4-8' rows. When I am finished with the peas, I'll pull and chop them up for side dressing for my asparagus patch. Nothing goes to waste on this homestead. Legumes like peas and beans are nitrogen fixers into the soil and asparagus are heavy feeders of nitrogen. It doesn't hurt the parsley planted between the asparagus either.  

My homesteading waste not want not principle takes a lot of research and planning before implementing. It's knowing a combination of companion planting, how plants multiply (by root or self sowing, etc.), and knowing each plant and their life cycle. Most is done prior to planting the first seed. After that, it's just doing it like it is for me now. I still need refreshers from time to time even after thirty years of gardening, so I hit the books. Organic gardening is almost an art form to get the optimum bang for your buck and a healthier you.

"Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo


10 comments:

  1. I love your waste-not-want-not attitude and lifestyle. In our culture of disposable everything, it's refreshing to read a post like this. It's chilly here today. I think that the seasons have shifted. Our hottest months are August and September, where they used to be June and July when I was a kid. I'm testing to see what I can grow here without a greenhouse. One of these days I hope to write a post saying that I've grown all of my veggies for the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, Being self sufficient in veges may take a few years. For me, whose being doing this for decades, it took me four years to be self sufficient in four veges. This year, my fifth, I'm aiming for six veges. Learning new land, amending it,seasonal variations all come into play.

      Delete
    2. It's good to read that it takes time. Alex and I have discussed what types of veggies/herbs we want to be self-sufficient at. So far it's come down to only 3 herbs that we use often, basil, oregano and cilantro. I'm going to focus on those next season. As for the veggies, we'll have to see. Congrats on being self-sufficient in four already!

      Delete
    3. Yes, Eain 4 already, but it tooka lot of planting to get there.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I think I mentioned that I am growing my first garden. Due to horrible sand we have for ground soil all of my plants are in containers. I have learned a lot this season and will do things a bit differently next year. We have so much rain here that I actually have to protect the plants from the down falls. Yesterday a lone I captured 3 big plastic totes of rain water. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, Too much water is just as bad as not enough. Each year is a learning process no matter how long you've been doing it.

      Delete
  3. 80 pounds of peas would be amazing! I grew snow peas this year so I wouldn't have to shell them (lazy, I know, lol). But I don't can them.

    I tried the new blogger interface for about a day. I agree, it's less efficient to use. I switched back. According to the announcement box, "The legacy interface will still be optionally available." So you should still be able to use it (???) after they make the default switch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love snow peas! But they only go so far because some recipes demand peas.Plus you can only freeze snow peas. That would be a problem for me.

      Good to know about the old Blogger being available. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I am so sad that our thyme died. It was on the verge last year, but it was about 16-17 years old too. I planted new small plants, and the heat killed them. I have yet to find new plants, but our oregano is doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost half my sage plants this year. For some reason just half of each plant died while the rest of it remained healthy. Did it on four of the plants.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.