Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Jalapeno Cornbread

With the weather getting cooler, I want something good and perfect to match the weather. On tonight's menu is Chili, and Cheddar and Jalapeno cornbread. I'll bring y'all along for the ride. I'm making a bit pot of chili so I can can the leftovers. I'm down to three jars in my stores building. EEK! I usually don't let it get that low.

 You can find my chili con carne recipe here. It has tons of protein. I'm cooking the same way but doubling the recipe.

Today I'm highlighting the Jalapeno cornbread recipe. If you look at the upper left side of the picture, you'll see the cornbread.

Jo's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
Serves 8
What you'll need


3/4 cup butter, use the real stuff for the best flavor
1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room or chicken temperature, beaten well
1-1/2 cup buttermilk, or use 1 cup whole milk plus 1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1 tsp baking powder
                                                             1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
                                                             1-1/2 cup yellow cornmeal*
                                                             1/4 cup jalapeƱo pepper, fine diced
                                                             1/4 cup of cooked corn, whole corn, drained well
                                                             1/4 cup onion, fine diced
                                                             1/2 teaspoon salt 
                                                             1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
                                                           
                                                            A  12" cast iron skillet.

* I'm originally from the middle states. Cornmeal is yellow not white. If all you have is white, then use it.
 
Putting it all together

  • Coat onions, pepper and corn in flour. Set aside. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan while baking.
  • After you've mixed the milk and vinegar, if you don't have buttermilk, let this mixture sit for 15 minutes.
  • I like to mix my dry mix into the liquid on. Just the opposite of everyone else in the world. That's just the way I roll...cockeyed. Pour your buttermilk, and beaten eggs. Mix well to combine.
  • I place my butter into the skillet and place it in my oven while it preheats to 400 degrees. I use the melted butter to both grease my pan and add it to my batter.
  • Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet in 1/3s. At each addition pour in melted butter. One or two stirs should roughly combine.
  • Continue to add dry to wet ingredients until the flour mix is gone. You still have a roughly combined mix.
  • Add your floured corn, jalapeno, and onion to the cornbread mixture. Again, stir twice to incorporate.
  • Pour cornbread mixture into the hot skillet.
  • Bake 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until done.
  • Slather more melted on the top and on the bottom when plated.
 
I can eat this all by itself anytime, anywhere.For me, it has enough of a moist buttery flavor at this point, but I always add a couple pats of butter to Mel's plate of food. Leftovers? We usually eat two pieces and eat the rest with leftover chili.
I pressure can the leftover chili, but not the cornbread. It's easy enough to make a fresh batch.
 
It's surely yummy for your tummy! Enjoy!
 
Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo

2 comments:

  1. Dang, that sounds good. I wish I could still eat the peppers. I like the flavor of it. Keep the recipes rolling. I gives me ideas for what to cook.
    upD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Wednesday is a recipe, craft, or upcycling. There's just too much to talk about in one Sunday post.

      I love peppers and Mel hates 'em. I have to be careful though, too many of them will give me a migraine.

      Delete

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.