Our Mission

To live a self-sufficient and organic lifestyle for the next half century. With the Grace of God and the power of prayer, we will succeed. Nothing is impossible with His help. It wouldn't be us without laughter and joy at the Cockeyed Homestead.

Find out more about our homestead on these pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Cooking with Chef Jo: Mistake Beef Stroganoff

This week, I happened upon a happy solution to a mistake. The mistake- I thought the leftover raw ground beef in a Ziplock bag was a roast I split. There's only two of us here so I usually split a pound of beef. We were having a was spell so I was using the microwave to cook it. After I cooked it, I realized my mistake. Actually, I found the roast beef while pulling vegetables to go with the roast. Upon realizing my mistake, I rushed to the microwave, but it was a solid mass of well done ground beef. Not knowing what to do with this I stuck it the refrigerator until inspiration hit me as it usually does.

Beef Stroganoff!! Ding! Ding! Ding! Just slice the block  of cooked ground beef as I would with any other meat.

Now my original recipe of Stroganoff calls for a tender steak or sirloin tips cut into thin strips because this recipe comes together quick once the prep work is done.. A tougher steak takes longer cooking times, or a marinade to make it tender. As soon as the meat, onions and mushrooms are done, it's done. About the same time it takes to cook egg noodles (about 5-6 minutes). My sour cream is at room temperature so I just add it when I turn off the burner. It heats up as the pan cools to eating temperature not boiling hot.

I pulled the beef block out of the refrigerator and set to slice it. I was so aggravated when I   accidentally cooked it that I put the whole oven dish in the refrigerator. I'm lucky that or the other (glass dish with lid nor glass shelf) didn't shatter going from hot to cold. Now if had been the freezer, the dish would have shattered for sure tempered glass or not. The juices had jellied and fats solidified around this block of meat. I carefully scrapped this off. The small pieces of fat could go into the dogs' dinner bowls, but the juices would go into the Stroganoff for added flavor. It turned out so well, I thought I would share it with y'all. Now on to the recipe.

Mistake Beef Stroganoff
Serves 2

What you'll need
See how the ground beef resembles steak?
1/2 lb 80/20 ground beef
1 small onion diced
4 oz can mushrooms, undrained*
1/2 c milk
4 oz sour cream*
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 TBS sweet paprika
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/ 4 salt

                                                                    1/2 TBS butter

                                                                     1 cup wide egg noodles*
                                                                     2 tsp salt
                                                                      water
                                                                      Oregano or parsley, finely chopped

                                                 

A skillet, saucepan, microwave, and something to stir with.

Notes*- I can my own mushrooms. They are a combination of mushrooms (white button, cremini, portabella, and oyster). I cook them with butter prior to pressure canning them in 4 oz jars.
I make my own whole wheat pasta. Heck, I even mill my own flour.
I make with buttermilk and heavy cream.

Putting it all together
  •  The night before, cover ground beef in microwave safe container. Because of the fat in ground beef, I do not recommend plastic. I use Pyrex. Microwave for 5 minutes. When cool, place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
  •  Place water in saucepan with the salt. When water boils, add your pasta and cook as directed. For me, 6 minutes. I like firm noodles. They are cooked but not limp.
  • In a skillet, melt 1/2 TBS butter while the the butter is melting, drain the mushrooms into a bowl. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
  • Add slices of cooked ground beef and jellied broth.
  • Add salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir well and cook until the ground beef pieces are heated through.
  • In the mushroom water, add the cornstarch. Stir well and add it to the beef mixture.
  • Stir sour cream and milk, and add it to the skillet.
  • Stir well and turn off the heat.
  • Drain the pasta. Do not rinse! You want the pasta tacky to grab the sauce.

Service- Place a serving of needles in a shallow bowl or plate. Spoon meat mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle chopped oregano on top. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.

While most recipes do not call for garlic, nor paprika, nor (God forbid) Oregano, I find this version more flavorful. They add extra notes of savoriness what is normally a bland entree.
Enjoy!

Y'all have a blessed day!
Cockeyed Jo




No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree, Disagree, Indifferent is okay, just let us hear from you. But be warned...evil spirited or threatening comments WILL BE deleted.